Technology has brought everything to our fingertips. Whether it’s ordering food, getting groceries delivered or even medicines, we have apps for all.
These are on-demand apps that enable us to request a product or service online and get it delivered to our doorstep.
The popularity of these on-demand delivery apps comes from their accessibility, convenience, and user satisfaction.
The users enjoy the convenience of ordering desired products or services from the comforts of their homes. Plus, they also have access to hundreds of products enabling them to choose the best one at a better price.
Another reason for the immense growth of on-demand delivery app development is its versatility. The best about an on-demand delivery app is that it can be deployed for any industry use.
Be it pharmacy, food, laundry, car wash, grocery, or home services, you can build an on-demand delivery app for any of these sectors and expand your business.
So, what are the features of an on-demand delivery app?
How much does it cost to build an on-demand delivery app?
How to develop an on-demand delivery app?
Is it suitable for my business model?
If you have these questions in mind, this blog is for you. The blog delves deeper into the types and features of on-demand delivery apps. We have also discussed the step-by-step process and cost of on-demand delivery app development.
What is an on-demand delivery app?
An on-demand delivery app is a mobile application that enables people to immediately order products or schedule services.
You might not be familiar with the concept or definition of on-demand delivery apps. But you surely have used these apps in your daily lives.
If you use Uber, Zomato, Amazon, Airbnb, or any other such apps, you are already using the services of on-demand delivery apps.
From large online marketplaces, food deliveries, and entertainment booking to grocery delivery, on-demand delivery apps have become a part of our lives.
Despite the industry, these on-demand delivery apps have two things in common. First is a user-friendly mobile app experience. Second is the instant user satisfaction.
What are the types of on-demand delivery apps?
Let’s have a look at three major types of on-demand delivery apps.
1. Business to Business (B2B)
B2B on-demand delivery apps connect businesses with one another. In this case, both parties are not the end user of the product or services. They are the manufacturers, facilitators, or distributors of the products.
For example, Cargomatic is a B2B on-demand delivery app that connects shippers with local carriers to provide on-demand trucking services.
2. Business to Customers (B2C)
B2C on-demand delivery apps connect businesses with customers. These apps are used by customers to order instant products or schedule services.
For example, Zomato enables users to instantly order food from their nearby restaurants.
Another example is Uber or Ola which allows users to book cabs for local destinations or out stations.
3. Customers to Customers (C2C)
C2C on-demand delivery apps are the ones that are used by end-users and for end-users.
For example, Etsy or OLX where the end-users sell a product or service for the other users to buy.
How can businesses benefit by having an on-demand delivery app?
Implementing an on-demand delivery app can offer several advantages to businesses across various industries. Here are the potential benefits for different sectors:
1. Food & Grocery
- Increased Sales: On-demand delivery apps can help restaurants and grocery stores reach a broader customer base, leading to increased sales.
- Customer Loyalty: Providing convenient delivery services can enhance customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Timely Medication: Development of on-demand pharmacy apps ensure timely delivery of medications, improving patient adherence to prescriptions.
- Accessibility: Patients can easily access a wide range of healthcare products without leaving their homes.
3. Logistics & Courier
- Efficient Operations: With logistics mobile app development you can streamline logistics and courier services, optimizing route planning and resource utilization.
- Real-time Tracking: Enhanced tracking features provide transparency, reducing the likelihood of lost or delayed packages.
- Market Expansion: On-demand delivery facilitates quick and efficient product distribution, enabling e-commerce businesses to reach a larger audience.
- Competitive Edge: Offering faster and more reliable delivery options can give an edge over competitors and enhance the overall customer experience.
- Ride-Sharing Services: On-demand apps in the transport sector, such as ride-sharing, provide convenient and quick transportation services, benefiting both passengers and drivers.
- Increased Efficiency: Dynamic routing algorithms can optimize transportation routes, reducing fuel consumption and operating costs.
6. Home Services
- Convenience: Developing an on-demand home services app allow users to request and schedule services like cleaning, repairs, or maintenance at their convenience.
- Increased Visibility: Service providers can reach a broader audience and gain visibility through the app, leading to increased business opportunities.
In general, development of on-demand delivery apps offer the following benefits across sectors:
- Cost Efficiency: Optimized routes and resource utilization can reduce operational costs.
- Customer Satisfaction: Quick and reliable deliveries lead to improved customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Data Insights: Businesses can gather valuable data on customer preferences and behavior, aiding in personalized marketing strategies.
- Automation: On-demand apps automate various processes, reducing the need for manual intervention and minimizing errors.
However, it’s important to note that the success of an on-demand delivery app depends on factors such as a user-friendly interface, effective marketing, and robust backend infrastructure.
Additionally, businesses should consider the specific needs and preferences of their target audience when implementing such apps.
What are the key features of on-demand delivery apps?
The core strength of an on-demand delivery app is evaluated by the level of convenience it offers to the users. To make an app user-friendly, you must integrate features that allow users to easily navigate the app, explore the services, and order.
If you are confused about the features during your on-demand delivery app development, worry not. Here are some key features that will make your app easy to use and popular.
We have divided the features as per the customer, admin, and delivery partner apps interface.
1. Customer facing
- Profile – You must enable every customer to build their profile. It is a necessary feature that allows customers to feed their name, address, and contact details into the system. Plus, you can also have the customer data for analysis that enables you to further enhance your services or offer personalized services.
- Search – This feature comes in handy for customers and allows them to quickly search for the product they are looking for.
- Order placement – It is a core feature of the on-demand delivery app. This feature enables users to easily order the product/service or schedule it for later.
- Payment – Your on-demand delivery app will succeed only if the user finds it reliable. One of the ways to prove your app’s reliability is to integrate secure payment gateways. Plus, you must include multiple payment gateways to offer customers various payment options to choose from at their convenience.
- Geolocation Tracking – This feature enables the customers to enter their pinpoint location. It also helps the rider to locate the address and make fast deliveries.
- Push notifications – This feature keeps the customers up-to-date with the order progress. Also, it alerts the customers about offers and changes in their profile or settings.
- In-app call/message – It’s not necessary to include an in-app call or message feature. However, it helps users to contact the delivery partner or the parent company if required.
- Reviews & ratings – The customers use this feature to leave their feedback about the service or product they ordered. It gives you insight into user preferences and identifies scope for improvements.
2. Admin facing
- Content management – using this feature, the admin can update the details about the product or service like price, features, etc.
- Order management – This feature allows the admin to view all the orders, their progress, delivery, and feedback.
3. Rider facing
- Personal account – The rider can view his personal details, his earnings, feedback received, and other details in this section.
- In-app message or call – The delivery agent uses this feature to contact the customers in case of any query like for directions.
- GPS support – This feature enables the delivery agent to find the right direction and fulfill orders on time.
Now that we know the necessary features you need in your on-demand delivery app. Let’s move on to understand the on-demand delivery app development process.
What are the steps to develop an irresistible on-demand delivery app?
Here is a complete breakdown of on-demand delivery app development.
1. Market research
The triumph or downfall of any mobile app hinges on its ability to effectively cater to user needs and expectations. Given the fiercely competitive nature of the on-demand market, thorough market research is imperative during the project discovery phase of on-demand mobile app development.
This research serves as a compass, guiding you in the right direction and aiding in the precise establishment of business goals. Questions such as who your target customers are, which features should be integrated into the product, and the willingness of people to pay for it can be addressed.
Moreover, it offers valuable insights into the strategies employed by competitors, empowering you to create products that surpass those of your rivals.
2. Identify key features
If your customers can’t access the essential features they require in their app experience, what incentive do they have to use it?
Compiling a list of the most crucial functions is vital to prioritizing resources effectively, ensuring the creation of a compelling user experience from initiation to completion.
These features not only cater to the fundamental needs of your target audience but also distinguish your on-demand app from competitors.
Here are some key features to consider: user profiles, filters and search capabilities, booking and tracking functionalities, payment integration, notifications, in-app messaging, as well as reviews and ratings.
3. Find the right on-demand delivery app development company
Selecting the right on-demand app development company for your project might seem challenging, particularly if you lack prior experience. To aid you in making an informed decision, consider the following tips.
Begin by reviewing the company’s portfolio to assess whether their developers have previously worked on projects similar to yours.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to friends and colleagues who may have utilized on-demand app development services. They can provide valuable recommendations based on their experiences.
Furthermore, verify that the developers hold valid certifications. Take the time to read reviews from previous clients. These testimonials can offer insights into how well (or poorly) a particular development team performs.
This comprehensive approach ensures you find a trustworthy and capable mobile app development partner to successfully execute your project.
4. Develop a MVP
We consistently recommend commencing with MVP (Minimum Viable Product) development as it represents the most intelligent approach to crafting on-demand apps and addressing the challenges of on-demand service app development.
An MVP provides your team with the chance to test their ideas, ultimately saving both time and resources in the long run.
It’s crucial to bear in mind that, no matter how meticulously a plan is devised, unforeseen challenges invariably arise.
By concentrating on the essential features of your app initially, you can promptly gather feedback from users and make necessary adjustments, ensuring a more agile and responsive app development process.
This iterative approach not only enhances the user experience but also allows for more efficient problem-solving and refinement as the project evolves.
5. Collect user feedback
The pivotal role of user feedback requires no elaborate explanation. Employing methods such as personal interviews, in-app surveys, A/B testing, and analytics tracking provides detailed insights into how your target audience engages with your app. Use all available means to gather feedback.
This comprehensive approach enables you to base your decisions on real experiences rather than assumptions. It allows for the adjustment of features and app design to enhance performance and meet customer requirements.
Ultimately, this strategy results in more engaged customers who are more likely to return for further interactions.
6. Future updates
Having gathered user reviews and impressions, it’s time to elevate your mobile app to the next level. On-demand delivery app development demands supreme creativity.
While considering all customer suggestions, go beyond and enhance the user experience by incorporating additional features. Keep in mind that your competitors are actively evolving, so brainstorm various ways to make the user journey as seamless as possible.
Moreover, it’s essential to factor in app scalability during the initial architecture design. Discuss scalability options with your development team in advance to preemptively address potential obstacles.
This foresight ensures that your app can grow and adapt to increased demands without encountering unexpected challenges.
How much will it cost to develop an on-demand delivery app?
It will cost you around $40,000 to $50,000 to build an on-demand delivery app with average features and functionalities. For complex fully packed apps with high-end features, you will have to invest an average of $100,000.
However, the cost of on-demand delivery app development is not fixed. The cost depends on several factors:
- Development approach
- App device compatibility (Android or iOS)
- Location of the development team
- App complexity
- Tech stack
Please note that the above rates are average industry rates which can significantly vary as per your app requirements. It’s always better to discuss your requirements with the development team and get a price quotation.
Having gained popularity in the market over the past few years, on-demand delivery apps have emerged as the new frontrunners. Their sustained success is anticipated to continue in the coming years, solidifying their status as an integral part of our daily lives.
After all, who wouldn’t appreciate the mobility and convenience of obtaining anything and everything?
In this landscape, if you’re considering on-demand delivery app development, contact us.