Do you know that 70% of users abandon an app if it loads slowly?
No matter how appealing your app is or what high-tech features you have, if there’s a glitch in performance, all goes in vain. One small bug or malfunction in your app has a huge negative impact on performance and eventually the user experience.
Moreover, it is not only about the user experience. A poor-performing app also ruins your brand reputation. Once a new visitor abandons your app, they are not coming back. You have lost the trust of a potential customer.
Further, if you don’t resolve your mobile app performance glitches, your existing customers will also get frustrated and slowly ditch your app. Therefore, you see how a small performance issue damages your brand impression, repels your audience, reduces sales, and limits your business.
Unoptimized images, unnecessary renders, faulty code, arrow functions, the absence of Hermes, and several other factors go unnoticed during the app development. These are the potential reasons that can take your app’s loading speed from a bullet train to a snail.
From code reusability to efficiency, productivity, and cost-effectiveness, React Native is the ideal framework for building cross-platform apps. But you can leverage the framework’s benefits in your app only if it’s done the right way.
This blog includes valuable tips to help you with React Native app performance optimization.
What are the reasons for the decline in React Native app performance?
Before we start with the techniques to optimize React native app performance, let’s decode the reasons behind it.
Here are some prominent factors that reduce your React app performance significantly.
- Memory Leaks: Improper memory management can lead to memory leaks, where memory is allocated but not released properly. This can cause the app to slow down or crash over time.
- Excessive Native Module Usage: React Native allows developers to write native code modules for performance-critical tasks. However, excessive usage of these modules can introduce overhead and degrade performance.
- Heavy CPU/GPU Usage: Intensive computations or rendering tasks can consume significant CPU or GPU resources, leading to performance degradation, especially on older or less powerful devices.
- Large Bundle Size: Large bundle sizes can increase app loading times and memory usage, impacting overall performance. This can be caused by including unnecessary dependencies or assets in the app bundle.
- Inefficient Network Requests: Inefficient handling of network requests, such as making too many requests or not properly managing response data, can slow down the app, especially when dealing with slow or unreliable network connections.
- Lack of Proper Testing: Insufficient testing can lead to undiscovered performance issues. Comprehensive performance testing across different devices and scenarios is essential for identifying and addressing potential bottlenecks.
- Outdated Dependencies: Using outdated versions of React Native or its dependencies may result in performance issues, as newer versions often include optimizations and bug fixes.
- Device-Specific Issues: Performance can vary significantly across different devices due to variations in hardware capabilities and software configurations. It’s essential to test the app on a wide range of devices to identify and address device-specific performance issues.
10 React Native App Performance Optimization Tips
If you are witnessing major performance issues in your app, it’s not the end. You can always identify and resolve bugs to refine your React native app performance.
Here are some ways to do it.
1. Enable Hermes
To start with, what is Hermes?
Further, Hermes reduces the APK download size, restricts the memory footprint, and improves runtime performance.
All these contribute to faster app loading and seamless performance.
2. Avoid Rendering
One of the proven ways to optimize app performance and speed is to avoid rendering on the main thread. You can easily do this by using React.memo().
It is a memoization technique used to improve app performance and avoid overhead rendering. This technique is applicable when the components have the same set of properties multiple times.
So in such a case the components use the previously cached properties and render the JSX view returned by the functional component only once.
Another way to do this is to use the useMemo function. It does the same function as React.Memo and positively boost the speed of the app.
3. Improve debugging speed
If you want to improve your React native app performance, do so by getting rid of all the bugs. The more bugs your app has, the more it will hamper the app’s performance, speed, and user experience.
There are many efficient ways and tools to identify and remove bugs in your app. However, we recommend a rigorous testing process that highlights and resolves the bugs in the app even before its launch. This will lay a strong foundation for your app, ensuring that minor and major bugs are eliminated.
Additionally, you can always use tools like Flipper, which works well with React native apps, to inspect and remove bugs. By incorporating Flipper into your code, you can continuously monitor functions and logic and find ways to reduce your debugging time.
4. Implement appropriate navigation strategies
Navigation strategy can make or break your React native app performance. It is one of the key factors that directly impact your app speed and user experience.
If your navigation isn’t captivating and easy to use, it will repel the users. So here are some of the ways to enhance your app navigation.
- For iOS apps, you can use the iOS navigator. But it won’t work for Android apps. This enables you to build navigation screens for iOS-specific apps.
- If you are building small applications or just prototypes, using Navigator alone will suffice.
- However, the navigator is not suitable for complex or high-performance apps.
- For such apps, you need to use a navigator experiment. However, due to its implementation complexity, most developers don’t prefer it.
- React Navigation is the ideal tool for building user-friendly and appealing navigation screens. It is suitable for both small and large-scale applications.
5. Avoid scroll view in the app
If your app has a large list, it’s best to avoid a scroll view. It is because when the list is scrolled, the frame rate is disrupted, and the app goes out of memory. This, in turn, reduces your React native app performance.
Scrollview is easy to implement. But it renders all the children at once, which becomes a problem if the items on the list are huge.
The best way is to use FlatList which ensures memory and frame rate optimizations.
Another way to optimize large lists in your app is to use Flashlist. It is a better replacement for FlatList and does a good job at memory management by avoiding the recreation of items as users scroll through the list.
6. Cache images
Image files are a core component of React Native. But when you code this core component, you will face issues like:
- Rendering a huge number of images on a single screen
- Low performance in general
- Low performance in cache loading
- Image flickering
These are minor issues but can tremendously impact your React Native app performance and image loading speed.
To avoid these issues, you can use React Native Fast Image. It is a third-party library that helps you improve loading speed. Plus, it works smoothly for both Android and iOS apps.
7. Optimize your images
Image optimization is crucial to improving your React native app performance.
If your app includes a large number of high-definition graphics and images, it’s evident that it will take a lot of memory. Plus, if the images are not as per standard resolution and size, it will lead to high memory usage. Eventually, a memory overload will crash your app.
Here are some tips to optimize your images to maintain their appealing nature and app performance.
- Always use the PNG format instead of the JPG format.
- Try to use smaller-resolution images.
- Better to use the WEBP format to reduce the image size for both Android and iOS apps.
8. Optimize Your React Native Code
Ensure that you don’t waste excessive time and memory while rendering by optimizing your code. It’s a standard practice that helps deliver suitable applications. Use PureComponent for text components to prevent unnecessary code overrides and minimize performance impacts.
Make sure you define functions and implement the code correctly to achieve the best results in this case.
9. Avoid Using Arrow Functions
As a seasoned React developer, you’re familiar with how arrow functions can cause re-renders, leading to memory waste.
These callbacks result in rendering views, creating a new instance for the same process with each render. This hampers the speed, agility, and overall performance of your application.
10. Implement Memory Optimization Techniques
When rendering or launching apps, you’ll often find multiple background processes running, consuming resources.
Use tools like XCode for iOS and Android Device Monitor for Android Studio to monitor and eliminate unnecessary processes. Optimize your app code to detect memory leaks and improve memory usage.
For better memory management, consider using FlatList for scrollable views, along with options like SectionList and VirtualList. Also, remember to exclude debugging statements like console logs from the production environment.
Hire Netweb Technologies React Native Developers Today!
When it comes to build robust and scalable mobile apps, leveraging the expertise of professionals is crucial. Netweb Technologies emerges as a beacon of proficiency in this realm, offering a pool of skilled React Native app developers ready to bring your visions to life.
Our professionals possess a deep understanding of the React Native framework, allowing them to build apps that excel in performance, functionality, and user experience.
Whether you’re looking to build a cross-platform app from scratch or enhance an existing one, our developers have the proficiency to deliver tailored solutions that meet your specific requirements.
Moreover, collaborating with Netweb Technologies affords you access to a wealth of industry insights and best practices. Our mobile app developers stay abreast of the latest trends and advancements in mobile app development, ensuring that your project is built using cutting-edge technologies and methodologies. This commitment to staying ahead of the curve empowers us to deliver solutions that not only meet but exceed client expectations.
Beyond technical expertise, we prioritize communication and collaboration throughout the app development lifecycle. From initial ideation to final deployment and beyond, our team maintains transparent and open lines of communication, keeping you informed and involved every step of the way.
This collaborative approach fosters a sense of partnership, allowing for seamless integration of your feedback and ensuring that the final product aligns perfectly with your vision.
To sum up, entrusting your React Native app development needs to Netweb Technologies guarantees your success. With our team of seasoned React native app developers at the helm, you can rest assured that your project will be executed with precision, efficiency, and a steadfast commitment to excellence.
Hire our React Native developers and build your dream team today!